Board of County Commissioners

Posted on: April 11, 2017

County Commissioners Approve Paid Parental Leave Policy for County Employees

TOLEDO, OH—The Lucas County Commissioners are pleased to announce the passage of a new Lucas County policy that will better the quality of parental benefits for county employees. The Paid Parental Leave policy, passed by the Lucas County Commissioners will give new parents more opportunities to adjust to their new family situation.


The purpose of Paid Parental leave is to provide additional flexibility and time to bond with their new child in various situations, such as birth of a child or placement of an adopted child. This policy is the result of research stating that the demand from workers to have more balance between their professional and family lives is increasing and becoming more important to a worker’s success. This option will be available to all workers, male or female, who have completed at least 180 days of work within the county and will be eligible during the first 12 weeks following the birth or adoption of the child.  Paid Parental Leave will be paid at 75 percent of an eligible employee’s straight-time, regular pay. Eligible employees will be allowed to supplement the remaining 25 percent of their straight-time, regular pay with available Paid Time Off accrued hours.


The Board of Commissioners eagerly anticipates the positive outcomes of the program that it will have on Lucas County employees and their families.


“We are excited to offer this benefit to our employees,” said President of the Lucas County Commissioners Pete Gerken. “Having a child can be a trying and exciting time for new parents and we wanted our employee policies to reflect that,” concluded Commissioner Gerken.


“We are pleased to join municipalities and counties throughout Ohio in adding paid parental leave for all Lucas County employees,” said Commissioner Carol Contrada. “We want to ensure that new parents have the resources available to make this transition as easy as possible for their family and our employees,” added Commissioner Contrada.


“Adding a child to a family, whether through birth or adoption, can be an overwhelming process at times. We felt it necessary to ensure our employees had paid time off to welcome their new addition,” said Commissioner Tina Skeldon Wozniak. “We hope this new policy will lead to beter outcomes for new parents within the Lucas County family,” concluded Commissioner Wozniak.


###


Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Board of County Commissioners

Lucas County Commissioners Oppose HB 394

Posted on: January 11, 2016

Siren Testing-10/16/15

Posted on: October 15, 2015