Choosing the wrong partner can be -- literally -- deadly.
No matter how much you think you love your partner and that your partner loves you, no relationship is worth risking your child's life. Recognize if your partner is an abuser before it affects your child.
Characteristics of abusers include:
- Immaturity, or need for immediate gratification
- A lack of parenting skills, including lack of knowledge about child development
- Poor interpersonal skills, unable to interact with others
- Few relationships with family or friends
- Has difficulty working with others
- Poor self concept -- they consider themselves unlovable or worthless
- Easily frustrated by unmet expectations for kids
- Uses children to meet emotional or physical needs
- Controlling; uses excessive discipline
- Alcohol/drug abuse
- Denies any accusations
- Places the blame on the victim