Request for Excuse
Excuses from jury service are limited by law. All excuses must be submitted five (5) business days before the scheduled dates of service.
Fax to: the Jury Commission at 419-213-4151
Mail to: Jury Office, 700 Adams St., Toledo, OH 43604
Excuses may be granted for the following reasons, but must be supported by facts and/or appropriate documentation as outlined below:
(1) The juror has a medical or mental condition that prevents their service. A statement from your physician on their letterhead must be submitted detailing why you are unable to serve.
(2) The juror has moved from Lucas County. Please provide current address.
(3) The juror was convicted of a felony AND is currently on community control or probation. Provide your probation officer's name
(4) The juror is 75 years of age or over. No medical statement is needed.
(5) Jury service will cause an extreme financial hardship. To demonstrate hardship, please include the following: A letter from employer stating you will not be paid while on jury service; A letter from yourself explaining why jury service is a hardship; A copy of a recent pay stub; and a list of monthly outgoing expenses, provide a list of amounts for each bill. (do not need copies of actual bills)
(6) The juror is the caregiver for an ill or disabled family member. A statement from their physician stating you are the person's caregiver must be submitted.
(7) The juror is a stay-at-home parent during the day AND their children are not school-aged. You must submit a letter stating you are a stay-at-home parent, and the ages of your children.