What is a Lien?
Defining the Parties
- It is security for collection of a claim or judgment
- When a lien attaches to real estate, it can only be sold if the lien is paid off or the buyer assumes the lien
- If a lien is not paid, the lien holder may file forclosure and force the sale of the property
- Creditor - The person to whom the money is owed. If for child support, it may also be the Child Support Enforcement Agency.
- Debtor - The person who owes the money, known as the obligor when for child support.
- Claimant - The person or agency to whom the money is owed, e.g. obligee.
- Foreclosure - The lawsuit seeking to force the sale of the real estate to pay off the liens.