- Qualified Beneficiary – Individuals who are covered under the employer’s group health plan the day before a COBRA Qualifying Event takes place
- Qualifying Event – An event causing a loss of coverage under the group health plan
- Applicable Premium – Employers are allowed to charge COBRA up to 102% of the applicable premium for continuation of coverage.
- Election Period – The COBRA statute lists specific time frames for employers, plan administrators, and qualified beneficiaries to accomplish certain tasks. These tasks include:
- The employer informing the plan administrator of the qualifying event
- The plan administrator notifying qualified beneficiaries of their right, the election period, collecting retroactive premiums, and the prospective premium payment